|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Enlarged, twisted, and swollen veins that are visible through the skin
- Achy, tired, heavy feeling in the area of the varicose veins or generally in the legs, especially after standing
- Leg cramps
- Burning or throbbing pain in the legs
- Swollen legs
- Sores that are difficult to heal
- Avoid standing for long periods of time.
- Rest with your legs elevated.
- Flex legs occasionally when standing or sitting for long periods.
- Wear compression stockings. Wearing these may help improve circulation in the leg veins.
- Surgery—banding and removing varicose veins—only for severe cases
- Laser or light source therapy—laser or light source energy used to seal, collapse, and dissolve varicose veins
- Sclerotherapy—injects the varicose veins with a chemical to shrink the veins
- Radiofrequency occlusion—collapses and seals varicose veins using radiofrequency energy
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Exercise regularly
- Try to avoid standing or sitting for long periods of time.
- Try to avoid crossing your legs for long periods of time while sitting
- Keep your legs elevated when resting
- Consider wearing support hose
American College of Phlebology http://www.phlebology.org
American Society of Plastic Surgeons http://www.plasticsurgery.org
Canadian Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery http://www.csaps.ca
Canadian Society for Vascular Surgery http://canadianvascular.ca
Varicose veins. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed.ebscohost.com/about/about-us . Updated July 29, 2013. Accessed August 8, 2013.
Varicose veins. VascularWeb website. Available at: http://www.vascularweb.org/vascularhealth/pages/varicose-veins.aspx . Updated January 2012. Accessed August 8, 2013.
Varicose veins and spider veins fact sheet. US Office on Women's Health. Available at: http://www.womenshealth.gov/publications/our-publications/fact-sheet/varicose-spider-veins.cfm . Updated June 2, 2010. Accessed August 8, 2013.
- Reviewer: Michael J. Fucci, DO; Brian Randall, MD
- Review Date: 08/2013 -
- Update Date: 01/30/2014 -