Lee's Summit Medical Center offers dry needling as a specialized therapy to promote healing and maximize return to optimal function and quality of life.
Dry needling is a form of therapy in which fine needles are inserted into myofascial trigger points (painful knots in muscles), tendons, ligaments, or around nerves in order to stimulate a healing response in painful musculoskeletal conditions.
Conditions that can be treated with dry needling include:
- Neck pain
- Back pain - upper/thoracic, lower/lumbar, sacral
- Shoulder pain - impingement, rotator cuff impairment
- Migraine and tension headaches
- TMJ (Temporomandibular joint)
- Hip/gluteal pain
- Hamstring strains
- Knee pain
- Shin splints
- Calf pain
- Achilles tendonitis
- Plantar fasciitis
- Post-concussion - whiplash
- Pelvic floor - external hip, lower back muscles
- Sport-related injuries
Dry needling is effective at decreasing pain and muscle tightness, as well as improving motor control, range of motion, and overall functional use.
If you experience one or more of the conditions previously listed, talk with your doctor to see if dry needling therapy at Lee's Summit Medical Center is right for you.